A year and a half ago, if you had asked me what Spirulina and Chlorella were, I would have guessed Cinderella’s step sisters.
But then my five year old had some complications after surgery for a ruptured appendix and Spirulina changed our lives.
It was December 23, 2009 and he was 6 weeks post-op with incredible pain and he had lost 20% of his body weight. The doctors speculated adhesions, but had nothing to offer besides Tylenol, rest and desserts to fatten him up.
Eh? I’m sure I can do better than that.
So I called the local acupuncturist and hearing the desperation in my voice, coupled with the fact that it was 5 minutes before closing for the holiday, he recommended Spirulina and Chlorella over the phone.
After researching these supplements, I was amazed by all of the benefits! This article by Mike Adams (Consumer Wellness Research Center) is quite long, but if you’re like me, you’ll read it in one sitting. These are truly super foods. Spirulina and Chlorella are:
- A wonderful source of protein (12x more digestible protein than beef)
- Able to provide every vitamin we should be consuming in a natural form
- Being used for people with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s to repair nerve damage
- Clinically proven to reverse cancer
- Super rich in essential fatty acids (like GLA)
- Able to reduce carb cravings by regulating blood sugar
- Shown to improve survival rates after chemotherapy
- Able to protect you from environmental toxins (like pesticides) that we are bound to eat with today’s conventional diet
- Grown in any climate…could be an excellent source of food to end global malnutrition.
- Would cost $100/gram if drug companies could patent it…but it’s natural, so they can’t!
It would be silly for me to bullet point every health benefit of Spirulina and Chlorella…I’d probably run out of disk space. Read the article and you’ll want to go out on your lunch break and buy some!
2 things to keep in mind when choosing Spirulina and Chlorella: where they are grown and manufactured and how much Vitamin A (and other vitamins they contain). Just like buying food, toys, etc., there are certain countries you should be weary of buying supplements from. And when you read the suggested dose in the article (determined by your weight), you will likely take 7 or 8 times what the bottle recommends for your daily allowance.
So back to my son…I gave him the dose recommended for a child every day for a week. And guess what? We started to see him willingly get off the couch. He even started talking about going back to school!
After a month, he was good as new. Now, I can’t say that they were totally responsible for the pain going away (it may have gone away on its own eventually), but I believe it did something pretty amazing for him. If nothing else, these green foods helped to remove the effects of radiation from the body (he had 8 X-rays and 2 CT Scans in the hospital).
Ask you doctor about incorporating these super foods into your diet. I can only say good things about them. They are truly perfect foods.
[Note: If you have intestinal issues, be cautious in using Chlorella as it can cause diarrhea in some people…]